Saturday, March 8, 2008

Saturday Lunch Satay


A couple of weeks ago, I found a recipe for Indonesian Satay and decided to put it on our menu. I had not made the recipe before and there were a few ingredients that I would need to buy, but I was sure it would be a cinch. Thursday afternoon, the day for which the meal was planned, I realized that I had forgotten to thaw some chicken. No problem, I would just run to the store and buy some fresh. When I returned home, I reread the recipe and realized that the chicken needed to be marinated for 4 – 24 hours and we were planning to eat in just an hour or two. This meal would have not be ready, so Plan B for Thursday: out to dinner. Friday we already had other plans for dinner, but I began the satay dish by combining ingredients to make the marinade. Saturday, as I began preparing the coconut rice, I realized that I did not have enough jasmine rice. I have begun buying less “white” food items and so mixed some brown rice in with the “white” rice. I think the cooking times were different for the two varieties of rice, but we did like the result. FINALLY, today we grilled the chicken and enjoyed delicious chicken satay for lunch. That goopy looking stuff under the chicken is the coconut rice and, of course, there is peanut sauce drizzled over everything.

4 comments:

Tracy said...

Mmmmmm....

Tracy said...

Say, Kim. Denis and I are going to be in Welches for a conference in early April. The conference is Fri, Sat, half day Sun April 11-13. I was wondering if we could get together one of those evenings for a visit. What do you think?

Tracy said...

Hi Kim! You novice... :o) Nah, you had only subscribed to the comments on that particular post, so it wouldn't have clogged up your in box too much.

but anyway, I came back here to reply. Saturday sounds great! We will look forward to it. Shall we come to your place? If so, we'll need directions. I'm assuming it will take us about 40 minutes to drive into HR, you think?

Tracy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.