Sunday, October 26, 2008

Am I getting old?


Today, a big announcement was made at our church. Our new senior pastor was introduced. He is younger than me. I am thrilled that he will be our new pastor. He has been our associate pastor and his wife is a good friend of mine. He will lead our church well, but I have never had a senior pastor that is younger than me. I think this marks a new crossing over point in my life . . . crossing over to the older group.

I must be careful not to become the old lady at church who frowns and criticizes those younguns in funny clothes or crazy piercings or tatoos. The tats don't seem to bother me, although I have no interest in getting one. Most of the piercings don't bother me either. I almost got a nose stud at a few years ago. A couple of friends at work had them, but about that time I met the man who is now my husband and he didn't really like the idea. I just have to say, the nasal septum piercing, bull ring, is another story! The young girl I know with one has what looks like long thick staple ends hanging out of her nose. I just don't see the beauty in it and maybe that's the point. Maybe this particular bull ring is part of her expression of how she sees herself.

But the bigger point is what I need to learn from this. Am I critical of what is different than me? Have I become more critical of exteriors as I age? God, help me look at the heart as you do!

3 comments:

amancay said...

hmmm... good stuffs...

Lori said...

Lovely post - it reminds me of a song by Brandon Heath called "Give Me Your Eyes". Here's the chorus:


Give me your eyes for just one second
Give me your eyes so I can see
Everything that I keep missing
Give me your love for humanity
Give me your arms for the broken hearted
The ones that are far beyond my reach
Give me your heart for the once forgotten

Tracy said...

Great post. That's a good question for all of us to ponder.