Sunday, June 29, 2008

Earthly Tents


Our bodies are not going to last. Several examples of this have been “in my face” the last six months. First, I had surgery and am surprised that my body is not bouncing back. I may always have some foot pain. It is certainly more manageable now, but still a pain. Then Bob had tightness in his chest and is diagnosed with coronary artery disease, and last week I visited with my dear Aunt who is fighting ALS. She has less than six months left in her battle. These are the verses that I read to her last week when Bob and I stopped by for a visit.

“Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. Now we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands.” II Corinthians 4: 16-5:1

Her “earthly tent” is being destroyed by this disease. She is wasting away in front of us. We all know that any day we could die, but sitting with someone whose days are numbered makes it tangible. Yesterday, as I was out deadheading roses, (she loves roses), I could only pray that God would give her peace and take away her pain. Looking over at my husband, who could easily have died a few weeks ago, makes me thankful for every day we have together.

No comments: